Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Alice in Wonderland Blog Meme

 Happy 3rd blogversary to the Notebook Sisters! How could I skip their fabulous Alice-in-Wonderland-themed tag? My only regret is that it took me until now to find the time to write it up, but the last week of school provides such things. So allons-y! 

1. Just Alice: What book cover(s) has made you super curious?

Well, I got involved with Cinda Williams Chima's Seven Realms because I spied Gray Wolf Throne on the library shelf, so I suppose that counts. As does my original resistance to the Lunar Chronicles hype, which broke down when I saw the cover of Cress. Serves me right for waiting so long.

2. Mad Hatter: List the craziest character(s) you've ever read.

The narrator of Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, whose name I can't recall... starts with an "R", I believe? That's the most recent one, anyway.

3. Red Queen, Off With Your Head! What book have you felt like beheading?

I've had serious issues with a lot of very big fish, many of which I'm seemingly alone in disliking. Divergent was hugely disappointing. Eragon -- ugh, I had so many issues with the purple prose and plagiarism in that series. City of Mortal Instruments or whatever it is I despised with a burning passion. Also, I recently read Beth Revis's Across the Universe (loved the cover) and Sarah J. Maas's Throne of Glass (heard great things) and couldn't stand either of them. Actually, Throne of Glass ought to be in question seven because I was laughing so hard at the improbable plot and irritating characters and overall ridiculousness that I was having trouble reading the actual book.

4. White Rabbit: What books or series have been insanely popular but you've been "late" to pick them up?

Daughter of Smoke & Bone, and I'm ashamed because I'm a mild Laini Taylor fan. Looking for Alaska. I've procrastinated on this one because I didn't like Paper Towns and thought TFIOS was okay. Sweet but unremarkable. Clearly, the rest of the universe disagreed with me.

5. Caterpillar: What's the most confusing book you've read?

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, by a landslide. Before I quit at the third book I repeatedly had to flip back fifty pages at a time to figure out what was going on.

 6. Dormouse: What was the last book that sent you to sleep?

My go-to books when I need to sleep are Lord of the Rings because I find the archaic language relaxing, and the fact that I know the plot by heart is comforting. If you mean what books bored me recently, I tend not to read boring books, or if I do I look for the best in the book. So I suppose none would be the appropriate answer to the question I believe you to be asking.

7. Cheshire Cat: Book that made you laugh and smile?

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Douglas Adams is so ridiculous. I adore it.

8. Knave of Hearts: Most recent character who stole your heart?

Probably Howl from Howl's Moving Castle. I just saw the animated Miyazaki adaptation and the hair. and the cape. the fingers. I mean, close-up shots of his fingers cracking eggs look attractive. I don't think it gets better than this. Plus, he's a magician, and he's heroic, and he's mysterious. And humor. He is funny, even if he's not trying to be.

9. Jabberwocky: Best villain you've read this year?

Obviously Islington the angel from Neverwhere. Plus his two cronies-for-hire whose names I can't recall. They were deliciously creepy.

10. Down the Rabbit Hole: What's the latest book/series/author that's completely swallowed your interest?

Most recently the Lunar Chronicles. I can't wait to get my hands on Scarlet.

3 comments:

  1. HAHAHA oh god, Howl from the animated adaptation was my first crush ever. I watched that film when I was 11 (.... 9 years ago now, holy shit) and I was like *_______* OH MY GOD. HE'S SO PRETTY.

    Eeee your answer to #9 reminds me I really need to read Neverwhere. D: I say it's one of my all-time favourite books but I read it when I was 14 and due to my appalling memory I literally have no idea what happens in it other than... awesomeness. There's a guy called Richard? Maybe? Door? Something? God I really need to read it again. I do not remember Islington at all.

    Looking for Alaska is better than Paper Towns, imo. I did like TFIOS though, so... I didn't think Paper Towns or An Abundance of Katherines were particularly amazing.

    Mmm, you didn't like Throne of Glass? Haha. I've been wondering whether to check that out. Still can't decide. I thought Across the Universe was okay, but I read that ages ago. I think I checked out the sequel but it was probably really bad, since I don't actually even remember if I did read the sequel or not. I might have just wiped it out of my memory, haha.

    I really need to read The Lunar Chronicles!

    You've read Laini Taylor's other stuff then, but not Daughter of Smoke and Bone?

    Here's my tea party blog tag! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HE'S PRETTIER THAN I AM AND IT IS INFURIATING.

      Richard is the protagonist, yeah, along with Door. Islington counts as the antagonist, I suppose. It's a marvelous book. Gaiman is so imaginative.

      Good to know about Looking for Alaska. I read Abundance of Katherines too and thought it was okay.

      I just found Throne of Glass incredibly unrealistic and not that well written, and Across the Universe was okay but again, badly plotted. I definitely won't be reading the sequel, despite how pretty the cover is, heh.

      Speaking of pretty covers, the Lunar Chronicles are wonderful. I totally recommend them.

      I haven't gotten around to Smoke and Bone yet. My favorite of hers is the short story collection Lips Touch, which is incredible in terms of prose and worldbuilding.

      Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  2. I couldn't really stand Eragon either. I want to finish it, though...but omg, it's been like 5 years since I read the first quarter! I just want to say that I've read it! haha! I really, really love The Lunar Chronicles! Each book keeps knocking my socks off!
    Thanks so much for linking up with us!!!

    ReplyDelete