Monday, May 5, 2014

April Summarized

I shamelessly stole this idea from the Magic Violinist. Thanks, MV! Hope you don't mind.

Books I Read

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut
Dragon Spear by Jessica Day George
The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland And Cut The Moon In Two by Catherynne M. Valente
The Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Perfect by Ellen Hopkins
Brilliance by Marcus Sakey

Favorite: The House on Mango Street or The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland
Least favorite: The Crimson Crown

I'm quite certain I read more, which I unfortunately can't recall at the moment. 

Movies I Watched

"The Lego Movie"
"The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" 
"Divergent"
"Letters to Juliet" 

Quotes I Wrote

"I always do," he says, his slight lisp signaling his age, or lack of it. "Luck and I, we always know." He shrugs, narrow shoulder blades creasing his shirt. "Today I don't. Now that they're here, everything just... slows and narrows, and I can't fit through it."
Pupil-less eyes shift to Luck, bronze-skinned and implacable. The dimpled corners of her chestnut-tinged lips curl into a sly smile, but she makes no sound.
YOU WILL REGAIN YOUR SIGHT, FATE. YOU WILL RETURN TO EARTH, AND WE WILL WAIT WHILE THEY GROW AND LIVE. AND THEN... WHY, THEN WE SHALL SEE.
In the thunderous, vibrating tones of the Mother, see sounds far crueler, and far more ominous, than it should.
--Hallelujah

"Who are you?" 
And Allegra jerks at the sound, her toe catches in her wet frilly skirts, she sprawls at the round bare feet of a boy in striped pajamas. 
She pushes herself up on her scraped elbows, her lips still and thin as shards of ice. Children are just as cruel as adults, just less possessed of the means to express it. She will not give this boy, with his eyes like holes and scarred cheek, any hold over her. 
"I'm Joy." Allegra has used this name before. She is named Allegra, after all, supposed to be cheerful and happy and lively, and it is short and easy to remember. Her first rule of telling a lie: tell the truth in an alternate manner. 
He offers her a soft hand, nails pared down. She takes it and barely represses a shudder, because his fingers feel like tiny dead eels under her own. Clammy and limp. 
His smile is condescending. "Maddox."
--Hallelujah

Lifting her sodden skirt above her cold-stiff toes, she scrambles for the egress of the alley. Her assailant, neck lolling at an awkward angle, does not reach out for the handgun or even lift his head to watch her flee. He is just a boy, and he is far too still.
 --Hallelujah

I burst into lissome leaf between denim and linen.
A rocking chair quivers at the apex of the sun’s way, 
and I devour the space I inhabit, trailing sepia frames in my wake. 
--Petrichor

Fascinations I Acquired

Pandora Internet Radio, which has taught me more about the importance of a novelling soundtrack than any music on my iPod or YouTube.

Ancient Canadian churches. My concert chorus sang at the Notre-Dame Basilica in Montreal on Thursday, and it is so gorgeously stunning that no picture can properly display its beauty. 

Other newnesses in Canada, including but not limited to: fennel salad and candied salmon. The Montreal Biodome and Olympic Tower. Pre-buttered bread. Stuffed foxes shaped like balloons. CafĂ© Starbucks Coffee. Duty-free perfume. Most of these will make an appearance in On Borrowed Wings, my Romeo and Juliet spin-off WIP.

This song. Also, this creature. How can you not love, respectively, a hyper-happy techno pop anthem by Tegan and Sara about chocolate frosting and cooperation, and a radically bipolar half-unicorn half-anime kitten princess? EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!

Picture of the Month

[creds: kr0npr1nz on deviantart]

Teenage Death Tamsin Shieh and her iPhone [precioussss]. 

No comments:

Post a Comment