Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Top Ten Book Covers I'd Frame as Pieces of Art

(I know, I know, I'm a day late... sincere apologies.)

"Top Ten Tuesday" is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's prompt is: Top Ten Covers I'd Frame as Pieces of Art. Now, we all know the saying "don't judge a book by its cover" has never meant anything to me. But I can limit myself to ten! I promise! 












1. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald


















It's so dark and glitzy and gorgeous and it's such a classic novel. Cue applause track.

 2. The Minnow by Diana Sweeney


















I'm a sucker for hand-drawn art and this is so watery and weedy and bewildering and lovely.

3. Cress by Marissa Meyer


















A nod to the book's Rapunzel thematic and shiny pretty ribbons. Precious.

4. Perfect by Ellen Hopkins


















I didn't end up adoring this book as much as I wanted to, but there is no denying that the cover is extraordinary. This may very well be my favourite of the top ten.

 

5. The Help by Kathryn Stockett


















Who's to say that the rough life of maids in Mississippi households can't be pretty? It's simple and beautiful and painted with little purple finches.  What's not to love?

6. Railsea by China MiƩville


















Quite frankly, this is one of the best fantasy novels I've ever had the honor to read, and the cover does justice to the book. Is it fantasy? I'd like to say it's in a category all its own.

7. The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White


















According to Goodreads this book is hugely disappointing, but there is no denying that the cover is utterly gorgeous. SPACE! I love space. And chaotic Asian-influenced gold paisley.

8. The Anatomy of Dreams by Chloe Benjamin


















This is the kind of image you see in a daydream. There one minute and then gone. You never see it the same way twice, and once you've stopped looking at it, you can't remember exactly what it looks like. Every time I glance at it I feel as if the dotted lines have shifted into new constellations.

9. The Gravity of Birds by Tracy Guzeman


















Told you I was a sucker for hand-drawn art, and this cover is beautifully antique and just imperfect enough to feel like a real human's hand created it.

10. The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton

 
















I am so utterly breathtaken by the title and cover of this book that I'm terrified to read it for fear the book itself will disappoint. The perfect simplicity, the detailed feather and the gorgeous, gorgeous title.

What about you? What are your most beloved book covers?

1 comment:

  1. I'd never even heard of Railsea before, but WOW THAT COVER IS COOL. :)

    ReplyDelete