Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Book Blogger TMI Tag

(I'm not doing the Top Ten Tuesday for this week -- Top Ten Books I Almost Put Down But Didn't -- because I can count those books on one hand. And one hand does not have ten fingers. So you get another blog meme instead. I know I borrowed this from someone, but I don't remember who. If it happens to be you, dear reader, I'm sorry! I promise I'll keep better records from now on.)

How old are you?

I'm thirteen. I'll be fourteen in... what, six months? Seven?

What book are you reading?

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. Yesterday night I finished A Small Place by Jamaica Kincaid and Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academicals and Pyramids (both rereads), and this morning I read Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George (also a reread).

What are you wearing?

My school uniform. Burgundy polo shirt, grey skirt, silly ankle socks, and blue sneakers half a size too big because I had to take the cheap laces out of them.

OTP?

It morphs based on my current read. Due to Fangirl it's currently Wren/Reagan. Yes, they have one semi-conversation, but come on, they'd be best buds if they actually talked to one another.

Blogger or Wordpress?

Out of... uh... Blogger, I'd say... Blogger! 

Going outside and being active or staying in and reading a book?

Depends on the book. For that matter, depends on the outdoor activity. I demand specificity.

What is the last book you read?

Like I said, A Small Place. 

What is the next book you're going to read?

Probably the Lunar Chronicles, if I can steal them from my school's library, which only allows me four books out at once. I've got four, and I'm not motivated enough to return them. So thievery it is. And after that, most likely The Shadow in the North by Philip Pullman.

eBooks -- yes or no?

I've got one of the ancient Kindles because I broke my first two by taking them to the beach, and an e-ink reader is useful for travelling with limited baggage because it's not as bulky. But I'm a skilled cram-as-many-books-into-luggage-as-possible-er, and my Kindle payment method is wonky, plus the battery isn't great. Nothing can compare to the smell and feel of paper and ink.

Where do you prefer to read?

My bedroom, the kitchen table, my sister's pet chair, the living room couch, the car, the other car, my sister's bedroom. Anywhere and everywhere.

Who is the last person you tweeted?

Hypothetically, if I did not actually have a Twitter, what would be the hypothetical answer to this question?

Whose blog did you look at last?

The Magic Violinist.  

Who is your favorite blogger?

I don't follow a large variety of blogs, but I do check up on several regularly, including Musings from Neville's Navel, The Magic Violinist, and Notebook Sisters.

What do you do when someone tells you reading is boring?













Who is the last author you spoke to?

Unfortunately, I am hopelessly isolated from all the people that I admire. I don't know that I have ever spoken to an author. Unless you count my dad, who wrote a movie when I was eight. And my mom's college boyfriend, slam poet Taylor Mali.

Who is the last person you texted?

My mom. I told her to keep an eye on my bird while I was at school.

Who is your all-time favorite book character?

No comment.

UKYA or USYA?

No idea. I am aware, however, that the two longest series I have ever read and appreciated are both from the UK (Redwall [22 novels] and Discworld [40 novels]).

What is your preferred drink whilst reading?

From November to March (aka what passes for winter in California), hot tea or a latte. From April to October (California's scorching summer) I prefer an Arnold Palmer or a frappuccino. Any kind of tea or coffee will do. Starbucks and Teavana constantly vie for the place in my heart reserved for the chain that sells my favourite drinks.

If you hated reading, what would you be doing instead?

If I hated reading, I wouldn't be me. So I wouldn't be doing anything.

How many bookshelves/bookcases do you have?

Oh, how I wish I had a room of bookshelves! How I wish they lined the walls and composed the floor and dangled from the ceiling! Wouldn't it be delightful to have a floor made of bookshelves? Feel the spines moving under your bare feet... enough. Let me answer the question.  

Right now: 4 shelves, 2 crates, innumerable piles.

After I move: Wall-to-wall. Ceiling-to-ceiling. I mean floor.  

If you had the choice to meet all of your favorite book bloggers or all of your favorite authors, which would you pick?

Authors, without a doubt.

Insta-love: yes or no?

My brain is trying to decide whether to interpret this as "instant love" or "love via Instagram." I'm concerned about what this implies about my generation. Either way, too shallow and treacherous, at least at the beginning. I've been involved in one semi-relationship, and the only reason I agreed to the first date at all was because we'd been friends since fifth grade. I still feel guilty about agreeing, since I didn't like him at all outside of a close friendship. I mean, I'm not even sure if I like boys or girls! But dinner was tasty, and there were parmesan crackers. So I don't feel that guilty.

Favorite author?

I will rip your head off and chuck it at your face.

What is the number-one book on your wishlist?

Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. 

Do you prefer books with female or male protagonists?

I prefer any book with a protagonist whom I can empathize and identify. Or, alternatively, the polar opposite: a protagonist whom I find riveting because they are so unlike me that I am utterly unable to predict their next action. Male versus female is not an issue.

Which is your favorite book-to-film adaptation?

 Howl's Moving Castle, definitely. If The Wind Rises hadn't been Miyazaki's last film, I'd get right on a screenplay of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland and beg him to direct it. And then S. J. Tucker could play the film score. I think the absolute perfection of such a film would cause me to die of a surfeit of joy.

What is the last song you listened to?

"Closing Time" by Semisonic.

Which do you enjoy reading more -- negative reviews or positive reviews?

Being a darkly humorous and cynical person, I much prefer to read negative reviews, because they make me giggle.  Exceptions to the rule are reviews of my own work or of books I truly adore.

Who are you going to tag?

If you read this, consider yourself tagged. Take it from me, this meme is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment